Thursday, September 7, 2017

Testing the sugar waters again

I'm a fair minded guy so decided to revisit the Great Sugar Bomb, Honeycrisp.

No, I'm not a fan—through I do appreciate them in a sort of arms-length abstract way.

I've been told that Honeycrisp is not so super sweet in its native Minnesota. Today's apple only hails from Western Massachusetts, but was orchard fresh and different in appearance than the hulking planetoids I have seen in the past.

Anyway, I had hopes that my tastebuds would catch a glimpse of something different this time.

My Honeycrisp is only medium sized, and bears an orange red blush over spring green. There are tan lenticels in the blush ranging from tiny to large.

The apple has a sort of metallic-satiny sheen that I think of as characteristic of Honeycrisp, but none of the micro dimpling I’ve come to expect.

THE crunch

Biting in triggers the famous crisp texture, but that first bite suggests a better balance than I remember. There's still plenty of sweetness, but a bit more of the countervailing tart accent that Honeycrisp so badly needs.

Why: only balanced apples have actual flavors beyond sweet and tart. Or maybe it is more accurate to say that any flavors are masked by unbalanced extremes.

Honeycrisp's flavors, if any, remain elusive beyond the sugar and corn syrup, despite what seemed like a better balance. There’s a hint of lychee, but otherwise the flavor palate is nondescript.

As bite follows bite the sugar gradually overtakes this vague impression, for a toothachey finish that is all too recognizable. Give Honeycrisp points for consistency.

This is a popular and important apple, but not for me.

The flesh is very coarse-grained and juicy.

Honeycrisp notes:

1 comment:

  1. I grafted Keepsake this year - the mother of Honeycrisp - because it should have more distinction in flavor. It is reputed to have the same breaking texture. Try a Keepsake if you can; I have yet to have the pleasure. Nothing could induce me to graft Honeycrisp, although it is an easier recent offering to tend than most commercial apples. I am not commercial, just a home gardener.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.